Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beat of Beijing

Yes, I know I have been so lazy with this blog for so long, and even if I always say that I'll become more active with this, I still don't. Shame on me. Well, again I'll try better. There have been trips and more are coming, so I have a lot to tell about. :) This time I'll write about the crowded capital city of China, Beijing, where I visited last October to meet my sister, who was staying there as au pair. Lucky for me, I could also stay at her host family's home so I didn't need to find any accommodation for myself.

Well, you can just imagine that such a big city was a slight shock for a countryside girl like me coming from a sparsely populated country like Finland. Especially the traffic is a total mess, so if you want to cross the road alive, it's probably better to follow some Chinese person who's used to it already. :D Also Beijing is quite foggy most of the time because of pollution, but I was lucky since the first three days after my arrival were so bright and sunny. And the most important thing to remember is that you should never ever go to any popular sightseeing site on Sunday - it's free day in China, so it's crowded everywhere. We tried it, and we simply had to change the plan. Another thing is that you can manage with English, but in some places - especially local restaurants - they really can't speak English, so it's useful to know at least some Chinese. But China is an interesting country, as you can surely see from the pictures - and by the way, sorry for the picture overload. :D

A meal we made with an old couple at their home. It's Chinese dumplings, something I have no idea about, and Chinese beer and wine.

At a local supermarket. :D

As you see, it's so much people that I barely got myself in. I was standing on the first step and the door was right behind me, because I simply couldn't go deeper inside.

I only stayed in Beijing for one week, so of course me and my sister went to as many sights as possible. So on the first day our destination was the shopping street of Wangfujin and especially the street food alley there. We were supposed to taste something special, but as soon as I saw the sea horses, sea stars, bugs and moving scorpions on the sticks, I wasn't even one bit hungry anymore. So that was it for me, my sister tried some later though. Then we headed to the Temple of Heaven Park, which was quite big and mostly populated by tourists and elderly people. Crowded, but still surely worth visiting, especially the Hall of Prayers and Wall of Echoes. Also if you climb on the platform where the Hall of Prayers is standing, it's a nice view around if you happen to have a day without fog.

A stall at the street food alley. Would you like some?

Hall of Prayers in Temple of Heaven park.

Another 'must see' is the Forbidden City in the heart of Beijing and the Tiananmen square. Surely if you go around the Forbidden City long enough, everything starts to look the same. But of course when you first enter there, it's amazing to think that this is the place where the emperors of China used to live. There are some treasure chambers and rooms of different people, even some original furniture in some places if you have enough time to explore the place. It's a lot bigger than we first thought, we spent there something like 4-5 hours and still didn't see everything. Another nice place is the Jingshan park right behind the Forbidden City. It's a hill offering a great view to the Forbidden City and around Beijing.

Inside Forbidden City. And the sky is still so bright!

Forbidden City from Jingshan Park.
The famous picture of Mao at Tiananmen square.

Then there are the back lakes of Northern Beijing. We explored the surroundings of Houhai lake, the bell and drum towers, and the traditional hutong streets (which were a lot more interesting than the most popular hutong called Nanluogu, which is mainly targeted to tourists. Those hutongs we saw were untouched and people were living their life there without any other tourists around than me and my sister. If you can, go there instead of Nanluogu). Houhai area is, as everything in Beijing, also quite crowded, but the lake is really nice and beautiful and offers some change for the most popular attractions. I also went to the Yonghegong Lama Temple on my own after Houhai area. Many Asian temples look quite alike in my eyes, but it was still quite nice and bigger than I expected. I even saw a ceremony of the monks there.

Around Houhai area.

We were offered tea at some local tea shop in Houhai. When the woman poured hot water on the small Buddha statues, they changed color. :)
Inside the Yonghegong Lama Temple.

And if you are in Beijing, you absolutely have to go Beijing Zoo. Not so much because of the zoo area, since zoos are quite similar everywhere and the animals are maybe not kept as well as what I'm used to as European, but because of the Panda House. Honestly, pandas are probably the cutest thing I've ever seen.


Well, it starts to sound like we only had great time in Beijing, but I surely had some awful experience in the Summer Palace west of Beijing. I went alone, since my sister had to take care of the child of her host family. I didn't have a map of the place, which was again totally huge, consisting of the big hill and Kunming lake and the buildings around. So I was a little lost at first. When I finally got the map and had seen some nice places close to the hill, I decided to walk around the lake to see what's there and continue exploring the buildings close to the hill. Well, the map didn't show distances clearly at all, so I ended up walking almost three hours and still didn't get around the lake. After all I took a boat across the lake to the closest entrance, since the buildings were mostly closed at that time. I thought I'd never get out from there. But well, it's a beautiful place anyway. Suzhou Market Street, Marble Boat and the Temple of Buddhist Incense were my favorites, so I recommend at least visiting these if nothing else. Just don't try to go around the lake...

Stairs to the Tower of Buddhist Incense, I'm so happy I ended up going down and not up!

Suzhou Market Street. And you can see how awful the fog was on that day, totally different from my first days in Beijing.
The Marble Boat.

Then finally on my last day in Beijing, we attended a guided tour to some Chinese factories, Ming Tombs and Great Wall. We were a small group with a nice Chinese guide, so the atmosphere was quite warm and friendly. We visited jade factory and silk factory, which had some small guiding for tourists to see how jade is carved and silk is made out of silk worms. Then we visited the Ming Tombs, the burial place of Ming Dynasty emperors. Honestly it was not that much to see, if it wasn't included in the trip I wouldn't go there again. It's just the outside buildings, but inside the tombs the items are only copies, because all the original ones were destroyed in revolutions. So, maybe it's not worth it to make a trip only for the tombs. But anyway, the main destination of the trip was the Great Wall - there are many parts of it where you can go, but we chose Mutianyu instead of the closest and most popular one. All I can say is that the Great Wall is amazing. It's surely one of the most impressive places I've ever seen. Surely there are also Chinese people trying to sell you anything if you even look at their way, but that's the thing almost everywhere, you'll get used to it. :D

The shop side of the jade factory

This is how we went up the mountain to the Great Wall - I admit it was scary at first.

Totally speechless.

So that's my Beijing as short as I could make it, but I guess I could talk about it forever. Apart from sightseeing, we also experienced the local food (which is definitely different than that offered in Chinese restaurants in Europe), shopping, nightlife, and some local life with and old couple that my sister met earlier. They teached us to make some traditional Chinese food as well. Also, we went to a drive-in theater for the first time with my sister's host family. So even though I experienced so much, I can say that one week is not enough for Beijing. If I could, I would surely go again and explore other cities of China as well. But after Beijing, our journey continued to Hong Kong, so I'll write more about that next time! :)


★ Maani

2 comments:

  1. Heyy, look who's back! :D

    OH MY GOD those froggies! ;www; They're so plump, fat and adorable! Ya, the first thing i notice: Frogs. Still, daawww... >ww<
    But wait, a local supermarket? :< So those are for food? Nooo, i'm going to save them before it's too late! I'm an annoying shithead hippie who lectures others on what to eat and what not \o/

    Man, i can't even imagine how crowded that place possibly is. That subway (or is it regular train? XD I can't tell) looks horrible. I would seriously jump out of the nearest window if there was such a big amount of people in one tiny place ö__ö

    And yes! i would like some of those *www* I see some delicious meat... and... grasshoppers and scorpions too O_o DEAR GOD No, not the sea horses and sea stars! ;A; My inner hippie strikes again! ...Ahh what the hell, i would still eat them *omnomnom*

    ....I can sense them other readers hating somewhere out there XD Just for the record, my comments are supposed to be overly dramatic and humorous.

    Anyways, continuing with my writing marathon. I SEE PANDAS *______* I... I can't fully describe their cuteness. But god damn i love pandas ;_; It's sad that they're endangered species, such majestic creatures.

    That Marble Boat looks beautiful, i like eet :> I like big boats and i cannot lie~

    I know Embo had some struggles with her host family, but overall you both had great time there, eh? :) Ooh, i'm looking forward for that Hong Kong post!

    Btw, i just need to get this off my chest: You write very well in English! I can manage with short sentences at times, but writing a text of this lenght already takes some skill. I always end up writing messy and confusing load of text. Your writing on the other hand is clean and easy to read and understand. Points for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know that someone is reading this!
    Yep, the frogs were on a supermarket, though you could see some in certain restaurants as well. So they were food. :D
    And the crowded vehicle in the picture is actually a bus. Sometimes the subway was even worse, so yeah. :D
    And thanks for the compliment about my language! Well, I've got a lot of training with it since I've been using English quite actively ever since middle school. And since I'm using it every day these days, it already feels like my second mother tongue, haha.
    Anyway, thank you for the comment and I'll write the next post as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete